I'm Walking The 3 Day!

Oct-2007-I will be participating in an Atlanta 3Day walk that benefits Breast Cancer. Read my 1st post to learn how this started. 3K of us will walk 60miles. Each will have each raised a minimum of $2200. Crew volunteers will spend 4 days in support of us. Our effort is multiplied by 12 cities that will host the3day. I created this blog to keep friends and contributors updated as to what I'm doing and how I'm progressing. Check my links-They'll tell you even more of the story.

Thursday, April 26, 2007

My First Blister! (and My GOSH…Look at her Ankles!!)

I’m not sure that a blister should be a milestone, but I’m pretty sure that it's the first of many. I walked 3.5 miles on Tuesday. I started at Concord Road, flipped a mental coin and headed East. I made a half-hearted effort at stretching but I’d forgotten to look up the stretching exercises so I was sort of at a loss and didn't spend much time pretending to stretch. I passed one slow, plodding walker--wondering if I ought to keep pace with her. The answer was “Yes” (but I didn’t). She passed me before I’d walked a mile (while I was stopped, stretching out "ouchie spots.")

The blister was minor—a raised spot on a pointy spot at the bottom of a minor toe. I’m pretty sure it’s what the walking crowd refers to as a “hot spot,” (which I think means a place on your foot that is prone to friction even after buying the right socks, shoes etc.) It hurt yesterday, but until I sat down tonight to finish the blog I started yesterday, I had not thought of it again. Then again, I have a scab on my leftt heel that seems to suggest that I had a second blister that fell under the radar but that is well on its way to healing. So now I have my “First Serious Blister” (one that hurts, oozes, gets reinjured) milestone. to anticipate.

Technically I should have walked again today. But I had a thing to go to at the kids’ high school (eek! next year I’ll have two high schoolers!), it was looking stormy, and (insert another excuse here). But while changing into “pick DJ up from soccer” clothes after the school thing, I notice that my left ankle was enormous! And the right one isn’t quite right either. So, not having walked since Tuesday, I didn’t immediately associate the swelling with walking, and for a minute (or 30 or 60) had ricocheting, semi-panicky thoughts about what new post-40 health concern was causing the edema. My dad’s congestive heart failure was only a fleeting worry (though there is that red-dress campaign that warns my risks are probably greater than I’ve stopped to realize); I knew darned well that I wasn’t pregnant (the last time my ankles were this big-- thanks, Jennie for mentioning that!) I recently changed BP meds to one that doesn’t have a diuretic (thanks to the whole “why is my sodium low” thing).

I wore “cute but dumb” sandals to work and while my feet didn’t hurt, they also didn’t get the support they needed following all of the walking I’ve done. I honestly need to accept that I’m an orthopedic shoe kinda gal and figure out how to buy good shoes other than the NB walking ones.

I can’t believe I’ve droned on and on about my physical aches and pains. I started this blog with the intention of comparing and contrasting my SCT experience of Concord Road > East walk with last Sunday’s walk. Hopefully I’ll get another walk (or two) in over the next couple of days (assuming my ankles go back to normal.)

I don’t intend for this to be a forum for my whining, but tonight that seems to be where I’ve landed.



Still walking….
Still blogging…

More next time about the walking experience!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home