I'm Walking The 3 Day!

Oct-2007-I will be participating in an Atlanta 3Day walk that benefits Breast Cancer. Read my 1st post to learn how this started. 3K of us will walk 60miles. Each will have each raised a minimum of $2200. Crew volunteers will spend 4 days in support of us. Our effort is multiplied by 12 cities that will host the3day. I created this blog to keep friends and contributors updated as to what I'm doing and how I'm progressing. Check my links-They'll tell you even more of the story.

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Milestones

When you register for the 3 day you get a lanyard and plastic sleeve into which you’ll eventually insert your official walking credential. Along with it are stickers and a training insert so that you can track your milestones. ( It’s kind of like girl scout patches, but instead of a brown or green vest or sash, I’ve got a little plastic badge-holder-thingy.) So far, on the back, I’ve got 5 stickers—
1. I’ve read the hand book
2. I set up my HQ—fundraising website
3. I’ve connected with my coach
4. I’ve gotten my first donation
5. I’ve raised my first $500

More stickers come with more walking and fundraising milestones. (There are 16 total.)

Here are the ones I’m still working toward:
· Attend a Focus Meeting. This is the official kick off meeting for registered walkers. I’m in the early stage of registration so they haven’t offered these sessions yet.
· Matching Funds. Several people from work have contributed to my walk. I’m going to apply for Reid Elsevier matching funds on their behalf. I’m also asking others that have contributed to find out what their employers require and I’ll be happy to do the paper work.
· Meeting the minimum $2200 fundraising goal. I’m close to halfway there. I’m astonished. I’m sure the last half will be tougher, but the early responses have been VERY encouraging.
· Hammer… For the life of me…I can’t remember what earns me this sticker. I’m sure it has something to do with “tools” but I’m not sure how and if I’ll get it.
· Training Walks. There are 5 stickers earned for doing endorsed training walks—my 1st TW. My first 5 Mile TW. My first 10M TW. My first 20 TW. And my First back-to-back long distant walks. Kind of like the focus badge…there are no training walks yet so I’m willing but unable.
· EXPO. I think this is a mid-year event where all the sponsors show us their stuff and the 3-day staff are more focused on retention of registration vs. recruiting.
· Check-in. This one doesn’t happen until shortly before the event. It is the ultimate “I’m Ready!” commitment. It means that I’ve paid my $90 non-tax-exempt registration fee. I’ve got a minimum of $2200 committed in contributions. And I have prepared my body to walk 15 – 23 miles per day/

Thanks to Joan Lazar for helping me understand that my blog wasn’t making it easy for you to leave comments. I’m also trying to figure out how to let people subscribe to my blog. If you have any helpful tips or hits on that topic, LET ME KNOW!

Still walking, walking, walking….

Becky

1 Comments:

  • At 11:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    cool. I was neither brownie nor girl scout, but it sounds like they really have lots of reinforcement to keep you going.

    now you are 50% of the way to your fund raising goal...and you are only one month into it!! way to go!!

    keep walking. did you take before pictures...to compare with the Becky that can walk 60 miles in 3 days?!?!?!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home